All posts by mfolweb

Minutes – April 4, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Carolyn Smith, Anne Benson, Shari Dunn, Lee Hallberg, Dana Petersen, Tulli Kerstetter, Laurie Webster, Silvia Fleitz

I.       Call to Order: By Carolyn at 7:04pm

II.      Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

III.    Proxie Votes: none.

IV.    Correspondence: none.

V.     Financial report: Presented by Laurie. Total balance on bank accounts is $6044.68. See full report here. Laurie completed our tax and income/expense reports.  All reports approved as read. View the March 2016 report. View the 2015 financial summary reports.

VI.    Librarian’s report: The Mil Levy committee will be working with the Friends on message and talking points at our May meeting. The library is still in need of business sponsors for the Mancos Half Marathon. View the full report here.

VII.  Old Business

A.     Stanton Englehart sales: Relocation in the bakery: Tulli suggested a display rack. She brought in a small wooden display shelf that she would like to put on the wall there and would like for us to purchase a small Mancos Friends of the Library plaque to put on the front of it. Lee will talk with the owners to see if they will go along with this. Tulli will ask the Mancos Visitor’s Center again to see if they will display our cards. Dana has gotten the posters back on the website for sale and is working on getting the cards on there. She has ordered free shipping tubes from the post office for these. Carolyn suggested putting the cards on the new display shelf near the circulation desk.

B.     Library Book Bags: we continue to slowly sell them.

C.     Picnic table with landscape donor: table again.

D.     report/ proceeds from April 2nd book sale: Laurie reports that we made $846 in book sales, $110 in new/renewed memberships, total profit $956 for our Spring Book Sale. This is a record for a one day sale!

VIII. New Business

A.     Special Events Permit for the Mancos Half Marathon / more planning for the Half Marathon: Lee reports that the Mancos Brewing Company would like to provide beer for the runners. This requires us to get a special events permit from the town. This will need to come through the Friends along with the $100 fee. A motion made by Silvia, seconded by Laurie to provide the $100 fee and do the paperwork for the Special Events permit. Motion passed.

B.     Landscaping funds request for 2016: Lee requested money to pay someone to contract to do the landscaping for the summer. Celeste Aurorean is interested in doing this. Silvia made a motion to provide up to $1200 to pay a contracted landscaper this summer. Tulli seconded. Motion passed.

C.     Name on PayPal Account: there is the name of a long ago treasurer of ours on the account. The general consensus was to get the paperwork filled out to have our current treasurer’s name, Laurie Webster, on the account.

D.     Jersey Jim online auction: We have one night to auction off this year. The night is Saturday, 7-23-16. Silvia will head up the advertising, Dana will set up the online auction. Advertising will start after our May meeting and will run from noon on Monday 5-16-16 and end at 7pm on Sunday 5-22-16.

IX.    Adjourn: 8:23pm  Next meeting will be Monday, May  2, 2016. All are welcome!

Book Sale Saturday April 2

BOOK-SALE2Saturday, April 2, the Mancos Friends of the Library are holding a one-day only book sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Early-bird shopping will be available for Friends Only starting at 8:30 a.m. with coffee and snacks. Memberships can be purchased at the door. Lots of great-quality donations have been rolling in and we need to clear them out.

Minutes – March 7, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Dana Petersen, Amy Welden, Laurie Webster, Lee Hallberg, Carolyn Smith, Tulli Kerstetter, Silvia Fleitz.

I.  Call to Order: By Carolyn at 7:10pm

II.    Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

III.  Proxie Votes: none

IV.  Correspondence: Lee requested an updated Friends membership list via email which was provided by Amy.

V.   Financial report: presented by Laurie. Total balance all accounts is $3434.48. Approved as read. See full report here.

VI.  Librarian’s report: presented by Lee. Help with distribution of promotional items for the Mancos Half Marathon which will benefit the library is needed. See full report here.

VII.        Projects Summary:

A.   Stanton Englehart sales: Carolyn reports since the relocation in the bakery none of the cards have sold. The bakery people are wanting to rotate displays in the front. Tulli suggested that we get a display rack. She will check at the bakery to see if that would work.

B.   Library Book Bags: Dana suggested using these to give gift packs to people who participate in the Mancos Half Marathon.

VIII.       Old Business

A.   Bake sale proceeds/discussion: the sale raised $1000 in sales and memberships. All agreed it went well.

B.   Donor bench/ table/ wall plaque: there is nothing new on this.

IX.   New Business

A.   End of the year donations update: we received $2515 through the end of Jan. We will continue to pay the costs of the mailing next year.

B.   Updates on Mil levy business: Lee reports that the Vote Yes committee will be meeting with us regarding requests for additional funds.

C.   Plans for book sale April 2nd: set up will be Fri Apr 1st from 3-7pm. The sale will be on Sat April 2nd from 8:30am-10am for Friends only and then from 10-3 for the general public. Tear down will be from 3-4pm. We will need a lot of volunteers for tear down as the room will be used by another group at 4pm.

D.   Mancos Half Marathon on June 25th: Dana pointed out that we need business sponsors and that they will be added to the posters and t-shirts. Potential business sponsors can go to www.mancoshalfmarathon.com, so please spread the word but do check with Shaine Gans before you ask a business in case they have already been contacted by the committee. Businesses can also donate prizes for the runners. Tulli reports that the Marathon committee would like the Friends to provide snack food to the runners. The Friends could also provide snacks for sale to the general public as a fund raiser.

X.   Adjournment: at 8:01pm by Carolyn. Next meeting will by April 4,  2016 at 7pm at the library. All are welcome!

Minutes – February 1, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Silvia Fleitz, Dana Petersen, Carolyn Smith, Tulli Kerstetter, Lee Hallberg

I.     Call to Order: by Carolyn 7:01pm

II.    Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

III.  Proxie Votes: none

IV.    Correspondence: none

V.     Financial report: emailed by Laurie. The Dec and Jan reports were reviewed. Total balance all accounts is $3634.48. Approved as read. See full report here.

VIl.    Librarian’s report: The year end mailing has generated over $13,000 to date. The Mill Levy committee has formed and had their first meeting. The library will have to stop taking book donations until we have a spring book sale. They library is applying for 501C3 status to help secure grant funding. A committee is meeting for planning for the Mancos Half Marathon which will be held on June 25th and will benefit the library. See full report here.

VIIl.     Projects Summary:

A.  Stanton Englehart note card sales: Carolyn spoke with the bakery about moving our cards to a more visible location.

B.  Library Book Bags: A few have sold. We will give some away with larger purchases at the book sale.

lX.    Old Business

A. donor bench/ table/ wall plaque: Nothing new since last meeting.

X.    New Business

A.   End of the year donations update: the Friends have received about $2290 in memberships and donations from the year end appeal.

B.   Thoughts on the conference call with John at January meeting / Mill                             Levy additional information: Lee reports that the Friends will be contacted for help with volunteer activities and financial requests.

C.   Plans for bake sale – Feb. 13th The sale will run from 8am to 3pm. Set up will begin on Fri Feb 12 3-5pm. We will organize and price items in the Sustainability room as the meeting room will be occupied.

D.   Spring book sale – April 2nd

E.   Funds request – Mancos Public Library Vote Yes! Committee donation, motion passed.

XI. Adjourn at 7:50 pm       Next meeting: March 7,  2016

Minutes – January 4, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Silvia Fleitz, Dana Petersen, Lee Hallberg, Amy Welden, Carolyn Smith, Tulli Kerstetter

I.     Call to Order: by Carolyn at 7:05pm

ll.     Place conference call to John at EveryLibrary.Org: He informed the Friends about the Friends role in the Mil Levy process for 2016. They provide this advice to us pro bono through donations. It is important to let the community know what will happen at the library if the mil levy does not pass. Also, it is important to let the community know how the money will be managed and used if it does pass. Marketing needs to be done about the ballot measure, focusing on the positive things that the library does in our community. The Friends can formally vote to endorse the ballot measure and provide resources (ie. Contributing money to the campaign, doing T shirts or buttons, postcards, etc.). Friends can donate up to 20% of our prior year’s funds for political speech/PAC. The Friends can give any amount for an informational campaign.

lII.     Proxies: none

A. Electronic votes or communications: none

IV.    Minutes of previous meeting: approved as corrected.

V.    Correspondence: none

Vl.     Financial report: none. Laurie Webster, treasurer, is out of town.

VIl.    Librarian’s report: none.

VIIl.     Projects Summary:

A. Stanton Englehart sales: The cards have been moved to the back room of the bakery. Carolyn will talk with staff about getting a better location.

B. Library Book Bags:

lX    Old Business

A. donor bench/ table/ wall plaque: will discuss next meeting as Lee had to leave before the meeting was over.

X.    New Business

A. End of the year donations update: we did not have a report on financial donations but Dana reports that we have a LOT of books now donated and we will need to plan a spring book sale.

B.  Plans for bake sale – Feb. 13th will be the date of the sale from 9-3.

XI. Adjourn: 8:10 pm       Next meeting: February 1, 2016, 7pm at the library. All are welcome!

Minutes – December 7, 2015

(as submitted)

Members Present: Tulli Kerstetter, Amy Welden , Carolyn Smith, Silvia Fleitz, Lee Hallberg, Laurie Webster

I. Call to Order: by Carolyn at 7:02 pm

ll. Place conference call to John at EveryLibrary.Org. (Eastern time) This was postponed until Jan 4th meeting at 7:00 pm due to John having a delayed flight.

lII. Proxies: None
A. Electronic votes: none

IV. Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read

V. Correspondence: there was an email regarding unclaimed funds with the state but Laurie could not access any information on this. Gene Hainer, the State Librarian/Assistant Commissioner of Education had notified us that we may have unclaimed funds. Lee will look into this further. We had quite a few new/renewed memberships come in from the Fundraising mailer.

Vl. Financial report: presented by Laurie. Total balance all accounts is $1010.46. See report here. Report approved as read.

VIl. Librarian’s report: Presented by Lee. See the full report here. We have had a very good response so far to the annual fundraising mailer.

VIIl. Projects Summary:

A. Stanton Englehart sales: sales have been slow this winter.
B. Library Book Bags: we have sold one since the last meeting.

lX. Old Business

A. landscaping update: the only current project will be snow shoveling.

B. donor bench/table: Lee has not yet been able to find a local metal worker to make a table. Lee will start looking on line at just a plaque and maybe go to a higher price if the table is needed.

X. New Business
A. End of the year donations update: about 2500 mailings went out. To date almost $1500 has come in.
B. Early plans for bake sale – Feb.14 is on Sunday in 2016. We are leaning towards having the sale on Saturday Feb 13th while the library is open.

XI. Adjournment: at 7:54 pm. Our next meeting will be January 4, 2015 at 7 pm at the library. All are welcome!

Minutes – November 2, 2015

(as submitted)

Members Present: Lee Hallberg, Dana Petersen, Amy Welden, Carolyn Smith, Tulli Kerstetter, Laurie Webster, Silvia Fleitz

I.     Call to Order: by Carolyn at 7:08pm

II.     Proxies: None

a. Electronic votes or communications: An email vote took place on a motion that the Friends provide the library with $4715.90 for Fiber Optic installation to upgrade technology services. The motion passed and Laurie provided the library with a check on 9-14-15.

III.    Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

IV.    Correspondence: none

V.    Presented by Laurie. Total balance all accounts is $4,366.07. Approved with a minor date correction. View the report here.

VI.    Librarian’s report: Presented by Lee. See full report here. The Fiber Optic connection has been installed and after a few initial glitches the internet is running much faster.

VII.     Projects Summary:

a.  Stanton Englehart sales: Carolyn reports that there are enough cards stocked at Absolutely Bakery currently.

b. Library Book Bags: Sales are slow. They were given to people who bought at least $5 worth of books at the Balloon Festival book sale. We will emphasize them for holiday gift giving.

VIII.    Old Business

a. Landscaping update: Gretchen completed landscaping work for the year.

b.  Donor bench/ table: some additional ideas of people who could make an outdoor picnic table were given to Lee. It was also suggested that we go to a plaque located outdoors to recognize donors separate from a picnic table project.

IX.    New Business

a.    End of the year donation request letters: will go out the third week of November. We reread a previous letter and decided to include a list of things that the Friends paid for during 2015. Laurie will provide a list to Lee and he will incorporate them into the letter. Silvia made a motion to provide the library up to $3000 to cover the cost of the year end fund raising appeal. Amy seconded. The motion passed. Lee will let Laurie know the final cost when available so that she can provide a check.

b.    Holiday Book Sale: it was discussed whether we should do a Holiday Book Sale. Due to an extensive Tech day on Dec. 5th at the library we decided to decorate our permanent book sale shelf in the library to draw attention to it for gift giving instead. Tulli will head this up and work with Linda Bellush on making sure the shelf stays fully stocked during the holidays.

X.  Adjournment: at 7:50 pm. Our next meeting will be Monday Dec 7th at 7pm at the library. All are welcome!

Minutes – October 5, 2015

(as submitted)

Friends of the Library Meeting Minutes – October 5, 2015

Present:  Amy Welden, Maddy Williams, Carolyn Smith, Tulli Kerstetter, Laurie Webster.

I.  Call to order by Carolyn ca 7:15 p.m.

II.  Proxies:  none.

III.  Minutes of previous meeting read out by Amy, approved as read.

(Note:  Silvia as Secretary was not at this meeting, so Tulli took notes.)

IV.  Correspondence:  none.

V.  Financial Report presented by Laurie.  Approved as read.  Total all accounts: $8,868.94.  Laurie met with Dolores State Bank personnel and found out that nonprofits have free accounts with their bank, so no more bank fees.  Interest on savings account: $.25. View the report here.

VI. Librarian’s Report: Lee was not able to attend, so Carolyn briefed us on Lee’s presentation to the Mancos Board of Trustees re: services to the Town that the library provides, along with a request for additional funds.

VII.  Projects Summary:

a.  No sales of Stanton Englehart cards from the Bakery since last meeting.

b.  Library book bags were given away at the Balloon Festival if someone made a purchase of $5 or more.

c.  Balloon Festival vendor’s booth garnered $173.71 in sales and donations.  We all felt that Dana’s efforts at setting this up were of great value and the proceeds were such that a booth at next year’s festival would be worthwhile.  Suggestions were made of having some small edibles and water and/or lemonade for sale which might bring in additional funds as there was only one food vendor at the stalls on Grand Avenue.  Maddy stated that the food vendors were all at Boyle Park.  Since the library booth was free, and there were food vendors at the park, this may not be possible, but we agreed to pursue this idea.

VIII.  Old Business:

a.  Landscaping project is in full swing.

b.  Picnic table honoring landscape donors is still in process.

IX.  New Business:

In Lee’s email announcing the agenda for the October 5th meeting, he stated that he would be asking for funds from MFOL for the electronic upgrades to the library.  Laurie also stated that funds would be required for the annual end-of-year appeal for donations.

X.  Our next meeting will be November 2nd at the library.

XI.  Adjournment at 7:48 p.m.

Minutes – August 3, 2015

(as submitted)

Members present: Lee Hallberg, Dana Petersen, Tulli Kerstetter, Carolyn Smith, Maddy Williams, Laurie Webster, Silvia Fleitz

  1. Call to Order: by Carolyn Smith at 7:11 pm
  2. Proxies: None
  3. Electronic votes or communications: None
  • Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read
  1. Correspondence: A thank you card was signed by members present to Brent and Rachel McWhirter of Moose and More for giving us a good discount on their artisan ice cream.
  2. Financial Report: Presented by Laurie. View the report. We made over $1000 on the Mancos Days book sale. Total all accounts is $9,289.32. Mancos Valley Bank has been bought by Dolores State Bank so there will be some changes to the fee structures. Laurie will investigate this as the changes take place later this month.
  3. Librarian’s Report: Presented by Lee. The yard sale brought in $640 to the library. They still have the grandfather clock which they can sell for between $500-600, possibly on line. They are planning to do another yard sale in conjunction with a book sale in the future. At the end of the month Lee will be requesting money from the Friends for books for those that completed the summer reading program. August 6th the library will close at 4pm for a reception for the Pecos archaeology conference. There will be some local authors selling books during the reception as well. August 19th the library will be closed for inventory. Gretchen has started the weeding on the landscaping along with some volunteers so the outside is looking much better. They are waiting on a ton of rocks to fill in some landscaping around flagstone paths. They are also hoping to get wood chips from Western Excelsior. The book sorting and distribution after the book sale went well with 7 boxes of books going to our sister library in Morocco. The rest will be sent to a distribution center in Denver where they will be dispersed or recycled through the Colorado Library Consortium. Lee would like to set up an online discussion with EveryLibrary.org to talk about the expectations of the Friends during the mill levy campaign in 2016. We will be needing 1.5 mils just to keep the library open.
  • Projects Summary
  1. Stanton Englehart sales/online inquiries: There are still 9 packages at the Absolute Bakery. Dana made more labels for the card packs and is working on getting the cards and prints back on our website.
  2. Library Book Bags: they are still slowly selling and at least 5 sold during the book sale.
  • Old Business
  1. Landscaping donor bench update: Lee has not been able to get a hold of Bonnie Loving to discuss the picnic table/bench made of horseshoes that we are thinking of so he will try again.
  2. Mancos Days Book Sale and Friends Ice Cream Social: the book sale was very successful in spite of the fact that we did not get on any of the advertising for Mancos Days Events as promised when we paid the $50 fee. It was discussed that we may use the $50 next year toward a booth at the park to give away free books and advertise the sale. Lee feels that the yard sale and book sale helped each other. The Friends Ice Cream social had about the same number of people (around 20) but there were some new faces and all enjoyed the Moose and More Artisan Ice Cream.
  3. New Business
  4. Officer’s Slate: We have some interest in our 1st and 2nd Vice President positions. We will need to review our entire slate and terms of office at our September meeting.
  5. Adjournment: at 8:10pm. Our next meeting will be Sept 14th, the second Monday, rather than Sept 7th as that is Labor Day. See you Sept 14th at 7pm at the library! All are welcome!

THANK YOU!

sale-setup

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO BOUGHT BOOKS, BROUGHT BOOKS, SORTED BOOKS, HAULED BOOKS HERE AND THERE….

We raised more than $1,000 in book sales and renewed/new memberships.