All posts by Anne

Auctioning a “Room with a View”

 

    

“A Room with a View”

The Jersey Jim Foundation has, once again, donated a night in the  JJ Lookout Tower to the Mancos Friends of the Library.

The Night of the Stay:

Friday, July 8, 2022

The Online Auction Runs:

Monday, June 20 to

8 pm, Sunday June 26

Thank you all for bidding!

Win a night for four in this historical fire lookout tower in the beautiful San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

The views are incredible!

The Mancos Friends of the Library is delighted to offer this opportunity to win a night at the Jersey Jim Fire Lookout Tower! These nights are hard to come by!

All proceeds benefit the Mancos Public library and its programs.

From the Jersey Jim Foundation web site:

“A Room with a View” – Live a little bit of history and enjoy an incredible view in Southwestern Colorado with an overnight stay at the Jersey Jim Fire Lookout Tower. Formerly used to detect fires, the live-in tower rises from an aspen-lined meadow in the San Juan National Forest at almost 10,000 feet above sea level.

“The Jersey Jim was home to U.S. Forest Service fire lookouts from the 1940s to the 1970s. An historic log book inside its cab, or living quarters, chronicles their experiences. The Tower was renovated and saved from demolition in 1991 by the Jersey Jim Foundation, a non-profit volunteer organization, which operates and maintains the Tower under permit with the San Juan National Forest.

Minutes – May 3, 2022

(as submitted)

Library Conference Room
4 pm

Members present: Anne Benson, Ann Coker, Miriam Dunlap, Cathy Seibert, Tulli Kerstetter, Jared Boudreaux, Laurie Webster, Ilga Vise, Earlene Swann (new to the neighborhood)

1. Call to order at 4 pm.

2. Minutes from April meeting approved as emailed – Miriam moved to approve the minutes (with amended typos); seconded by Cathy. All approved

3. Guest requests. Earlene Swann joined Friends for this meeting (and hopefully future meetings).

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report. – Laurie reported a deposit of $343.20 from: memberships ($260), Englehart poster sale ($20), in-library book sales ($16.70), and donation box funds ($46.50). Because some of this information was not on the report, Laurie will email an update. Savings account balance is $4225.11, with $4521.72 in checking, for a total of $8746.83. Miriam moved to approve the amended report, and Tulli seconded. All approved.
Laurie presented a couple other reports as follows (see both for details): MFOL Income and Expenses 2019-2021 (specifically for Heidi Trainor) and a listing of all the donations Friends made to the library for 2021 (although the report shows these for 2022). Laurie noted that memberships/donations for 2021 were considerably higher in 2021 over 2020 and 2019, and book sales were a bit higher than for 2019 and much higher than 2020, probably due to Covid. There was no bake sale in 2021 due to Covid but the donations/memberships made up for any loss of revenue therefrom. Friends made substantial contributions to the library in 2021 over the preceding two years, as shown on the Donations listing alluded to above.
Tulli asked about the virtual bake sale (no actual bake sale due to Covid) this year – were any donations received. Both Anne and Laurie were unsure about this, as any donations in February were listed by Laurie simply as donations and not segregated.

7. Library Director’s report – (see report for details). Jared reported that the library’s collaboration with Early Learning Center’s Touch A Truck event had 143 attendees. He has also met with the school superintendent to coordinate operations for students vis-a-vis the library, and to set up a book drop on school grounds, and class visit days. The intent is to get all older kids a library card. Updating is planned for May and June to the teen area and children’s room with new furniture and computer desks, and separating very young children from older kids. Jared has met with both Cortez and Dolores library directors in order to facilitate collaboration on projects, such as a documentary night for all patrons, to be hosted by the libraries.
The library is currently in the process of getting a new camera system with more cameras for better security, and a better speaker and camera system for the community room (Owl system).
Jared notified Friends that there is a publishing company that is printing free coffee-table type art books for libraries. Does Friends want to do something with these books? Jared so far has 15.
In technology matters, Ryan has donated a 3D printer to the library. When fully set up, the library hopes to print out replacement covers for the floor plugs in the community room, which would cost pennies rather than close to $100 apiece. Patrons could also use the printer but would have to pay for the filament used to create a product. Ryan will instruct potential users on how to use the computer that connects with the printer. Ryan also hopes to create a 3D model of Mancos for the visitor center. He has made up a list of everything he would need for the printer (see List of Materials for details, attached). Base essentials would cost $360, and a full list including a storage cabinet, filament, and a designing program, among many other items, would total $1649. (3D printer materials and costs list) Jared asked whether Friends would be willing to finance some or all of this project. Miriam moved for Friends to give the library the total request of $1649, and Laurie seconded. All approved.

8. Book Maven report – Miriam. Miriam explained to Earlene how the books are obtained by Friends for book sales. The Zircon is getting full for the next book sale. During the past week, someone donated old children’s school textbooks, many in poor shape. The better ones Miriam set out in the lobby for a modest price. All are now gone and she hoped that someone bought the whole box.

9. Old business

Deck chairs invoice – In response to Silvia’s question at a prior meeting about whether Friends needed to pay sales tax, Anne researched the invoice and agreed that Friends unnecessarily paid an extra $203 in sales tax and $78 for a noncash fee. Although regretted, there is really no way, at this point in time, to get any funds back.

Hats – Tulli agreed to order new hats as only eight are left. She will order two sets of five hats of different colors. She has been donating the cost of the hats, and is willing to continue to do so, but MFOL must pay for the logo embroidery.

10. New business – none.
Anne asked Earlene about her recent move to Mancos in October.
Jared said programs are up and running, including the summer reading program, after being on hold due to Covid.

11. Adjourn at 5 pm.

Next meeting: June 7, 2022 – Library Conference Room