All posts by Anne

Minutes – June 7, 2021

June 7, 2021
Mancos Public Library, Outdoors
4 pm

(as submitted)

Members present: Koko Smith, Miriam Dunbar, Anne Benson, Tulli Kerstetter, Laurie Webster, Silvia Fleitz, Ilga Vise, Susan Stein

1. Call to order at 4:03

2. Minutes from May meeting as emailed – Miriam moved to approve the minutes, and Laurie seconded. All approved.

3. Guest requests — none
4. Proxy/e-mail votes — none
5. Correspondence — none

6. Financial report – Laurie reported that the following activity had occurred during May: donations and memberships of $100, $22.55 in-library book sales, $42 Englehart card sales, $30.55 donation box, and an Amazon Smile payment of $20.99. Amount in savings is $4222.96, checking $8551.81, for a total balance of $12,774.77. As per May’s meeting, $2000 has been earmarked for outdoor classroom upgrades but has not yet been requested. Likewise, funds approved in May for parking lot upgrades (up to $3000) have not been requested yet. Tulli moved to approve the financial report, and Silvia seconded. All approved.

Silvia asked about membership renewals. Since Amy Welden handles memberships and she was unable to attend, the issue was tabled until next meeting.

7. Library Director’s report — In Lee’s absence, Anne reported that Julie’s vacated position as youth services coordinator has been filled by Erin Bohm.

8. Old business – none

9. New business
Jersey Jim Auction – Aug 9. Dana has expressed a willingness to help with the auction. August 9 is a Monday. After discussion, board members suggested June 21 to 27 for the actual auction, with advertising for same beginning immediately with flyers around town, spots on local radio, and bulk email. Apparently there are no restrictions in place for reserving the tower due to Covid-19.

Book sorting and BWBs — Miriam, Anne, and Joan have been busy getting books sorted. Miriam presented three very old books to the members that were donated. Although old, they are not in very good condition. Consensus on how to proceed with them was to put them out at the in-library book sale shelf after consulting with Joan.

Mancos Days Book Sale prep. Pre-sale? Lee has reserved the community room for Friends Thursday through Saturday for the sale in July. The sale is also listed on the Mancos Days calendar. All agreed to continue the social/pre-sale on Thursday evening for members: ice cream, cookies, etc. Books will again be sold by the pound and $5 per grocery bag, $7 for larger take-out food bags. Details will be planned at the next meeting.

10. Adjourn at 4:33

Next meeting: July 5, 2021

Minutes – May 3, 2021

May 3, 2021
Covid-19 Pandemic Meeting
Virtual, via Zoom
4 pm

(as submitted)

Members present: Tulli Kerstetter, Anne Benson, Laurie Webster, Amy Welden, Koko Smith, Lee Hallberg

1. Call to order 4:04 pm
2. Minutes from April meeting as emailed – Motion to approve made by Amy and seconded by Laurie. All approved.

3. Guest requests – none

4. Proxy/e-mail votes
Funds to support outdoor classroom – Lee sent out an email requesting funds for further improvements to the outdoor classroom on Wednesday, April 14. Anne moved to approve the request and Miriam seconded. All approved via email. The total request was for up to $2000. However, Lee felt the amount may be less due to a donation of wood chips from Steve Underwood.

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report – Not too much going on, two groups of deposits for donations (see report). Savings $4222.96, checking $8336.22, for a total of $12,559.18. Laurie had also sent board members spreadsheets for the last few years comparing 2018, 2019, and 2020 income and expenses (see reports). Tulli questioned why there were no Jersey Jim funds listed for 2018 and 2019, and Laurie said she would look into it. Tulli moved to approve the financial report and Koko seconded. All approved. Amy asked about whether Friends still had chocolate cookbooks available, and Lee said there still are some.

7. Library Director’s report – Reopening after the pandemic, week five, and all is going well. Everybody seems to be respectful of covid rules, and they haven’t had to turn anyone away from the maximum capacity of 10 patrons except once. Lee talked with the health department, and when level blue is reached, the library can open up to 30 people at a time. The CDC has stated that the virus sticks to paper and does not come off easily so not easily transferred to human hands; therefore the library no longer has to quarantine materials except for regular cleaning of outer covers. This will open up the meeting room probably in about a month (June 1st target date). Lee is also working on a couple grants: (1) state government considering providing 5th day programming funds for 4-day school weeks; and (2) round 3 for CARES Act funding is being applied for that would cover the cost of items such as the outdoor heaters, tarps, plexiglass, wipes, masks, etc. Rearranging is going on as well: clearing out audiobooks next to computers to house DVDs (audiobooks now near nonfiction section), and weeding out books which have not been checked out for long periods of time. The library is going to be needing a youth services manager since Julie is leaving end of May. And the parking lot is in need of resurfacing. AAP out of Durango would do crack fill, seal coat, and restripe for $2874 (one to three-day job). Lee asked if Friends would be willing to pay for all or part of this project. Tulli moved to fund the work for up to $3000 and Laurie seconded. All approved.

8. Old business
Membership lists – Anne is struggling with the lists because current software makes it difficult to know who has paid and when (using Excel only). Anne wants to use something else. Lee said there are other open-source programs, which Anne will investigate.
For Mancos Days, Anne informed the board that Friends will be mentioned in the advertising for same. Lee will reserve the meeting room for Friends book sale.
Trivia Night? – How much interest is there? Anne is not interested in leading here, Tulli ditto. Questions arose as to when (fall, winter best), and who will be in charge. The project was tabled for later in the year.

9. New business
Front walk clean-up recap – Tulli reported that it took about 20 minutes to take most of the donated items out front to the trash while keeping a few books for the Mancos Days book sale.

Next meeting venue/time – outdoors at 4. Lee will reserve the meeting room just in case there is a problem with meeting outdoors.

10. Adjourn at 4:44 p.m.
Next meeting: June 7, 2021