Minutes – October 7, 2013

(as submitted)

October 7, 2013

Members Present: Laurie Webster, Dana Petersen, Lee Wilson, Carolyn Smith, Silvia Fleitz, Linda Bellush, Ben Wolcott.

I. Call to order by Linda at 7:08 pm.

II. Proxies: None

III. Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

IV. Correspondence: None.

V. Financial report: presented by Laurie. The total balance in our accounts is $4898.77. Approved as read. View the report

VI. Librarian’s report: none.

VII. Recent Projects Summary

a. Stanton Englehart cards sales at AHC are temporarily on hold due to government shut down. The Englehart exhibit “Arches” was supposed to run until Nov. 3rd.

b. Harvest Festival Sept. 22nd and dinner at Olio’s: In spite of the rained out Harvest Festival we sold some quilt squares. The quilt got a bit wet but Lee Wilson was able to get it dry. Dinner at Olio’s may still happen has a fundraiser possibly on Oct. 24th.

c. New slate of officers: Bob Seney, President; Lee Wilson, First Vice President ; Dana Petersen, Second Vice President, Laurie Webster, Treasurer; Silvia Fleitz, Secretary. The slate was approved. The bylaws were reviewed as to the duties of officers, and will be updated to reflect changes in the First and Second Vice President offices. We will approve changes at the next meeting.

d. Sculpture to recognize landscaping donors: Silvia will call Marilyn Kroeker to review what size of rock is needed and what type of rock to mount the sculpture on. There were several ideas given to find a rock and how to get it moved to the library.

VIII. New Business

A. Pavement in front of the Zircon: Silvia met with Steve Klumker today to get an idea of the cost. He said a ballpark figure would be $1500, about twice that if we want to put in a ramp that a handcart could go up. Dana suggested using square pavers and install them ourselves if the cost is too high. We will look at all available options.

B. Grand Piano for the Library: Carolyn proposed that the Friends consider fundraising to obtain a Chickering Grand Piano that is for sale in town. She says that Lee Hallberg will be asking the library board their opinion on this. It was discussed that the music night went over so well this past July and that we could continue to have music fundraisers and community/cultural events facilitated by having a nice piano in the library. It was also discussed that we will need to prioritize with the library as to what fundraising projects they want us to focus on. We will continue to explore this option.

C. Library Fundraising Mailer: Laurie mentioned that the library will be doing another mailer and that the Friends may be asked to pay the cost as we did last year. It was discussed that our costs were recouped and more with the donations and memberships we received.

IX. Adjourn:  at 8:05 pm.

We all extend our thanks to outgoing President Linda Bellush for her wonderful service. Our next meeting will be Monday Nov. 4th at 7pm at the library.  All are welcome!