Category Archives: 2016

Minutes – September 12, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Silvia Fleitz, Tulli Kerstetter, Lee Hallberg, Amy Welden,  Carolyn Smith, Laurie Webster

I.     Call to Order: at 7:08pm by Carolyn.

II.    Minutes of previous meeting: approved as read.

III.   Proxie Votes: none.

IV.    Correspondence: Laurie received a letter from the Vote Yes Committee for the Friends donation to their cause. We have donated $2200 so far.

V.     Financial report: presented by Laurie.Total balance all accounts is $7001.53. Approved as read.

VI.    Librarian’s report: Presented by Lee. See full report here. Planning has begun for the 2017 Mancos Half Marathon. The Vote Yes! Committee for the Mill Levy needs volunteers. Contact Julia Whelihan at or (970)533-7002 to sign up. The first opportunity is tomorrow night at 7:00 pm, they will be calling voters.

VII.    Old Business
A.    Landscaping News: it was discussed that we need more notice for seeking volunteers to participate in work days. Celeste will try to get one more in before winter. For the picnic donor table, Lee is considering ordering a metal table that has a plastic coating on it, dark green. There are local people who can make the donor plaque. The general consensus that was around $800 dollars could be spent on this.
B.    Englehart cards: Carolyn has noticed that our card sale basket has disappeared from the Absolute Bakery. With the money that came in we are assuming that we sold out what was there. Tulli will restock some cards at the Absolute Bakery. Laurie reported that the Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding, Utah, has had staff change over so this is not a good time to try to get the cards in their gift shop.
C.    Donation Money Box: Dana Petersen is reformatting the design for the manufacturer as they requested. It will be bolted to the circulation desk or a wall to prevent theft.

VIII.    New Business
A.    Updates on the Say Yes levy project: as mentioned above, volunteers are needed for the calling of voters and also for door to door campaigning, yard sign distribution, and mailing TABOR notices.
B.     Book storage / sorting brainstorm session: Lee reports that we have so many donations that Jana, our one volunteer, can’t keep up with them and the boxes are taking up the entire staff room. 9 boxes per week can be sent out through the courier. Carolyn suggested contacting Victoria Petersen r.e. possibly using the now defunct Episcopal Church. Another suggestion was the empty hardware store. Also the Mancos schools was brought up as a place that might have a space for sorting/storage. Tulli may also be able to spare some temporary space in her shed. Silvia brought up that we used to have a schedule for book sorting with at least 6 volunteers on it and maybe this could be reinstituted.
e. Annual Appeal 2016: will wait for the outcome of the Mill Levy vote. If the Mill Levy passes we may forgo an end of year 2016 appeal. If it doesn’t pass the library will immediately start working on an appeal after the election.
f. Art wall: Lee reports that staff is wondering about the Friends taking on managing the art wall above our book sale shelf. The general consensus was that the Friends have too many volunteer projects to work on already.
g. Lee requested $63.33 to cover the cost of book prizes for the summer reading program. A motion was made, seconded, and approved.

IX. Adjourn: at 8:15pm.    Next meeting: Oct. 3, 2016 at 7pm at the library.

Minutes – August 1, 2016

(as submitted)

Members Present: Silvia Fleitz, Amy Welden, Tulli Kerstetter, Carolyn Smith, Laurie Webster, Dana Petersen

I.  Call to Order: at 7:08 pm

II. Minutes of previous meeting: corrected minutes were approved.

III. Proxy Votes: none

IV. Correspondence: The Executive Committee voted by email to approve spending $40 for Moose and More ice cream for the Friends Ice Cream Social on 7-28-16.

V.  Financial report: presented by Laurie. See full report here. Total balance all accounts is $6061.46. The report was approved as presented. View the report.

VI.  Librarian’s report: Dana reports that Lee is working on filling the open staff positions.  Lee Hallberg was presenting to the Mancos school board this evening about the mil levy ballot issue to seek their support. View the report

VII. Old Business

A.   Mancos Days Book Sale: $734.66 in books and memberships. It should also be noted that the Mancos Library Book Cart Drill Team won the non-profit category which garnered a $150 prize for the library! The team was comprised of library staff and Friends members.

B.   Englehart sales: Laurie reported that her connection at the Edge of the Cedars Museum has moved on to another job. She will make an attempt to connect with the new person. Carolyn will check in with the Absolute Bakery regarding sales there.

C.   The picnic table/bench project and Friends donation box were tabled.

VIII. New Business

A.  Landscaping news: Dana reports that our landscaper is planning to work with card board and mulch to try to decrease the bind weed.

B.  Say Yes mil levy committee: Tulli will suggest to the committee that they do a post card for a mailer that is succinct. The Friends will be asked to participate in door to door campaigning.

C.  Mancos Valley Balloon Festival: it was generally decided that the Friends will not have a booth this year due to not enough of our main volunteers will be here that weekend (Sept.23-25) and would prefer to lend the support of our volunteers to the Say Yes committee at that time.

D.  Amy reviewed with us the new membership forms and how to fill them out. There was discussion regarding lapsed memberships going back to 2006. We will move them (last renewed 2006-2010) to a separate file and consider doing call lists to reach out to them.

E.  Amy brought up having a way to identify Friends when participating in events such as a button or T-shirt. Tulli stated she could easily make buttons and has done this before. She will check with Lee to see if any of those are remaining. It was decided that the Friends will investigate providing the library with Mancos Public Library T-Shirts and possibly Hoodies to sell. Dana reported that there was some interest in the Aspen Leaf design from patrons. Laurie suggested getting higher end book bags/totes made of canvas. She also pointed out that Brad and Maggie Goodell are doing this type of work, Laurie will ask them about doing some products for us.

IX. Adjourn: at 8:07 pm. Next meeting: Sept. 12, 2016 at 7pm at the library. All are welcome!