Category Archives: 2022

Minutes – February 1, 2022

Zoom meeting

(As submitted)

Members present: Anne Benson, Laurie Webster, Tulli Kerstetter, Ilga Vise, Silvia Fleitz, Peggy Littlejohn, Miriam Dunbar, Cathy Seibert, Koko Smith

1. Call to order at 4:02 pm

2. Minutes from January meeting as emailed – Laurie moved to accept the minutes, and Koko seconded. All approved

3. Guest requests – None

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – None

5. Correspondence – Laurie sent an order received by MFOL for an Englehart print to Silvia who has volunteered to send out any orders received.

6. Financial report – Laurie reported a savings account balance of $4224.55. Checking account had activity involving continuing donations, library book sales, and memberships totaling $788.98. Membership notices received by Laurie have donations included in the annual membership dues, so it is difficult to determine how much is actual membership and how much donation. Ending balance in checking was $3894.26, with a total account balance as of the end of January of $8118.81. Tulli moved to approve the financial report, and Peggy seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Miriam reported that the Library Board has offered the director’s position to Jared Boudreaux, with negotiations ongoing at this time that include background checks.

8. Old business

Sorting Donated Books – Miriam. Miriam reported that Amy Welden did book sorting til the end of December. At the beginning of January, a lot of books went into the Zircon for MFOL’s future book sale, while seven boxes went to Better World Books and the in-library sale book shelf. Miriam goes in once a week to sort the incoming donations.

Valentine’s Day Bake Sale – Monday. Laurie made a list of memberships received during the last three years of the Valentine’s Bake Sale and Mancos Days Book Sale. The tally was made to find out just how much the bake sale brings in for memberships if Friends decide not to hold the sale this year. Although there was no bake sale in 2021 due to Covid, Friends’ income from memberships and donations was over twice as high as 2019 and 2020 (see Laurie’s email for more detail). Many donations in 2021 were from people Laurie hadn’t known about before. Mancos Days Book Sale memberships are normally lower than those obtained during bake sales ($635 versus $850 for two years). Cathy estimated $5750 from ‘memberships’ but she is not sure this is just memberships (see above under Financial Report). There seems to be some confusion over memberships versus donations, which needs to be sorted out. Cathy thinks there are 100-105 actual memberships. Laurie counts anyone a member who filled out the green form included in the annual library fundraiser letter, even though they may not have actually designated any of the amount sent in for strictly membership renewal. Anne suggest getting together with Laurie and Cathy to clarify this issue.
Amy Welden notified Anne that she was against having a bake sale in person since Covid is still raging. Silvia stated that Covid infections are way up in
Montezuma County. After further discussion, all agreed on a virtual bake sale like
the one held last year in which Anne emailed all members and Silvia put on Friends
fb page donated recipes, along with a plea for donations. Last year’s virtual bake
sale netted around $1530 from a combination of memberships and donations.

9. New business – Peggy asked Friends if they knew of any home rentals for Jared Boudreaux if he does accept the director position. Silvia stated that she has a bunkhouse which would be available for him temporarily. Miriam will give Amy Getz Silvia’s contact information.

10. Adjourn at 4:45 p.m.

Next meeting: March 1, 2022 – Zoom

Minutes – April 5, 2022

Zoom meeting

(As submitted)

Members present: Anne Benson, Tulli Kerstetter, Ann Coker, Ilga Vise, Miriam Dunbar, Silvia Fleitz, Cathy Seibert, Laurie Webster, Jared Boudreaux.

1. Call to order at 4:02 pm

2. Minutes from February meeting – Miriam moved to approve the minutes for February (no meeting took place in March), and Ilga seconded. All approved.

3. Guest requests – None

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – None

5. Correspondence – Laurie stated that Friends had received an appreciation card from the Brights, new to Mancos. Anne got an email from Lisa Taylor thanking Friends for allowing her group to temporarily use the library’s community room when Friends usually meets.

6. Financial report – Since there was no meeting in March, Laurie combined February and March in one report. Savings increased by $.52 in interest to $4225.07. Activity in checking included reimbursement to Cathy for supplies/postage, an Amazon Smile payment of $17.86, a deposit of $20 for Englehart prints, $135 from memberships, $80 in hat sales, in-library book sales of $29.15, and donation box receipts of $20.07. Checking at the end of March was $4178.52, with a total balance of $8403.59. Tulli moved to approve the financial report and Miriam seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Welcome Jared. Jared highlighted for Friends his statements to the Library Board as follows: a meeting with Celebrating Healthy Communities explained the use of narcan by library staff in cases of overdoses;
updates to Children’s and Teens’ sections as suggested by staff; changes made through grants already obtained for creating and expanding an outdoor hub for the community; new furniture for the children’s section of the library and creating more age-specific groups within that section. A book challenge had arisen lately but has been resolved. Security updates are being undertaken as well.

8. Old business

Arrival of Chairs. Midge made lots of calls to the supplier regarding the chairs that Friends had paid for last year and had yet to be delivered. She was happy to announce their recent arrival and placement outside. Silvia asked why Friends paid a sales tax, which amounted to $203 (9.03%). Anne will investigate, as Friends does have a tax-exempt license. Miriam asked about remaining hats and should more be ordered, since four had recently sold (see financial report). The hat issue was tabled until the meeting in May.

9. New business

Writing for Resilience Events: Ann told Friends about two events that Lisa Taylor has organized through her Poetry for Teens on Tuesdays. The two events to show off their works will be held on April 15 at Fenceline Cidery (poetry slam) from 4-7 pm with ABC providing refreshments, and April 30 at Mancos Brewery with a reading and possibly guest poets. Area artists also collaborated to create illustrations for the teens’ poetry. Ann will post the events on Friends website and Silvia will announce same on Facebook.

1st VP Vacancy – This vacancy was created when Koko Smith recently moved out of state. Ann Coker volunteered and was approved. Miriam has the record books from Koko and will deliver them to Ann.

Other matters:
Laurie: new memberships were placed in a drawer at the circulation desk in the library for Cathy, and Anne will look through them in order to get new email addresses.

Miriam has been sorting books for future book sales and sending unwanted ones to Better World Books. The Zircon is getting full and she feels that there will be lots of good books for Friends’ next book sale.

10. Adjourn at 4:33 p.m.

Next meeting: May 3, 2022 – Library Conference Room