Category Archives: 2022

Minutes – July 5, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

Members present: Ann Coker, Anne Benson, Amy Welden, Ilga Vise, Tulli Kerstetter, Jared Boudreaux, Cathy Seibert, Laurie Webster, Peggy Littlejohn

1. Call to order at 4 pm

2. Minutes from June meeting as emailed: Amy moved to accept the minutes and Cathy seconded. All approved.

3. Guest requests – None.
Anne read a message that Silvia forwarded from Koko, now living in Kansas. A donation of $100 to Friends was made by Patty Harpham on behalf of Georgette Welage.

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence –none

6. Financial report – Savings account balance is $4225.60. Checking account activities included $9.14 from Amazon Smile, reimbursement to Tulli for hat embroidery of $100, PO box renewal of $62, a Paypal deposit for 4 prints to two different people ($158.26), and $901.01 for a variety of donations and in-library book sales, memberships, and Jersey Jim auction (see report for details). A fee of $.01 was paid for an Amazon bookseller account. Checking account balance at the end of June was $3817.23, for a total of $8042.83. Tulli moved to accept the financial report, and Peggy seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Jared reported a “fun June”. The library is currently doing a much-needed inventory, which has uncovered lots of mistakes because there has not been one recently. The library also added two more holidays: Juneteeth (June 19) and Indigenous Peoples Day (2nd Monday in October). A summer reading program just started. Updates were completed in the Teen section, and Children’s area updates are ongoing. Computer equipment for kids need upgrading. The 3D printer will be in operation as of August 1st and hopefully will be enclosed in plexiglass so that viewers can actually watch it work. The entirety of the library will be upgraded electronically, but the camera system is not yet up because a new organization will be doing the system. Outdoor beautification by Wild Iris has not been started yet, even though the patrons who are willing to foot the bill are on board. Jared will investigate why no landscaping has been done to date.

8. Book Maven report – Email to Anne from Miriam (who is on vacation) stated that there will be lots of books for the Mancos Days book sale.

9. Old business

Jersey Jim auction – Jeff and Nancy Corbin paid $250 for their night. Thanks to Dana for setting up the auction. There seems to have been some confusion as to how the overnighters could reach the officials in charge of keys, etc.

Donated coffee-table books – Jared and Anne set up an Amazon account, and Anne has listed seven of the books so far. A discussion ensued as to adding other, more esoteric items to the account (Englehart prints, out-of-area archaeology books).

Mancos Days Book Sale and Friends Social – Anne passed around her version of a flyer as well as signup sheets for volunteers to operate the sale. Amy reported that she has not lined up any ice cream vendors at present. Tulli volunteered to pick up any ice cream that Amy might be able to find (Cold Stone Creamery? Green Table?) and ice. Small and large grocery sacks are needed and appreciated. Cathy will bring a membership list for the past two years and also will bring her coolers for the ice cream. Amy will donate ice cream scoops, Anne will procure napkins, Laurie will bring flowers, and Ann will bake cookies (two dozen or so). Since there will be no live music this year, Jared offered the use of the library’s sound system for music during the social – and maybe show some photos of selected events. Setup for the book sale will take place from 11-2 on Thursday the 28th. Ann will help disseminate flyers. Silvia, hopefully, will agree to set out the two sandwich boards (Anne will text Silvia about this request).

10. New business – Sun sail for the southside patio may not be financially feasible, but all agreed that some type of overhang would make the patio more usable.

11. Adjourn – at 5:13 pm.

Next meeting: August 2, 2022 – Library Conference Room

Minutes – June 7, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

Members present: Jared Boudreaux, Anne Benson, Miriam Dunbar, Cathy Seibert, Ilga Vise, Ann Coker, Tulli Kerstetter, Amy Welden

1. Call to order at 4 pm

2. Minutes from May meeting as emailed – Motion to approve the minutes was made by Miriam and seconded by Cathy. All approved.

3. Guest requests – none

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report (see report for details). In Laurie’s absence, Anne read the report into the record. $1649 was paid out to the library for 3D printer supplies and software. Income included the sale of two Englehart prints ($38.11). Checking account balance at the end of May was $2910.83 and savings balance of $4225.11, for a total $7135.94. Tulli moved to approve the financial report, which was seconded by Amy. All approved. Silvia will be mailing the prints to the purchaser and will be asking for reimbursement for mailing charges from Friends.

7. Library Director’s report (see report for details) – Jared reported on his attendance at two conferences (Directors Conference in Vail, CLiC Rural Library Meetup in Durango). Another upcoming conference stemming from the Directors Conference will focus more on local issues.
The library’s teen section has been moved around and outfitted with new equipment and furniture. Renovation of the children’s room may take longer due to the need to open up floor panels for wiring, etc., but may be finished by the first of July. These changes to teen and children’s sections will create more of a separation between younger and older children.
A new security camera system will soon be operational with special emphasis on keeping an eye on the new outdoor chairs and the children’s area.
Julia Whelihan is the new volunteer coordinator. Her duties will include coordinating any volunteers (currently three) and recruiting new volunteers from the community. She will also be in a better position to direct volunteer efforts more effectively at the library.
Tulli asked Jared about the state of the landscaping around the library, and he assured Friends that the couple who were supporting same will continue to foot the bill.

8. Book Maven report – Miriam reported that someone donated several Louis L’Amour books, which have been selling well. She suggested limiting further book donations in July since the Zircon is getting full before the Mancos Days Book Sale. She asked that someone volunteer to move boxes of books into the Zircon during her two-week absence in July. There has been no book request from the prisons for paperbacks, which might need to be set up again. Jared stated that he hasn’t seen any information on this issue but will follow up on the suggestion.

9. Old business

Hats order – Tulli delivered 10 embroidered hats to Friends at this meeting, which will be stored in the community room closet with the others. She noted that embroidery costs are now $10 per hat instead of $9.

Donated coffee table books. Friends agree to put them up for sale, and Miriam did put out a few that did sell. Jared wondered if Friends wanted to do something online. Although Miriam stated she was not interested, other Friends members might wish to participate. Friends could use the library’s account with Amazon, which costs about $4-$5 for shipping. Jared estimates the library still has about 20 of these coffee table books still in their plastic wrappers. Anne said she might volunteer to help with the setup online as a fundraiser, and Cathy said she has some of these types of books that may be useful as fundraisers also.

10. New business

Jersey Jim Auction – A date of Friday, July 8, has been donated to Friends. Dana is willing to do the auction again. After some discussion, it was agreed that auction dates need to start pretty quickly, maybe Monday the 20th through Sunday the 26th, with bids starting at $50. Anne will get flyers put together, and Miriam will post same around town, with Silvia doing facebook (hopefully).

Mancos Days Book Sale and Friends Social – The Friends book sale will be July 29-30 with the social on Thursday the 28th. Details for book sale and social were tabled until next meeting.

Addition to New Business: There will be a library fundraiser at the Mancos Brewery on September 17, selling tickets for a feature-length documentary movie called Cowboys. The library will keep Friends updated on this event.

11. Adjourn at 4:48 pm.

Next meeting: July 5, 2022 – Library Conference Room