All posts by mfolweb

Minutes – August 6, 2018

(as submitted)

Members present:  Lee Hallberg, Dana Petersen, Koko Smith, Anne Benson, Tulli Kerstetter, Silvia Fleitz, Laurie Webster.  Shari Dunn was also present.

1. Call to order at 7 pm.

2. Minutes from previous meeting of July 2 were amended as follows:  Under “Old Business,” the sentence “A later start was suggested, maybe 7 or 7:30” should be changed to “An earlier start was suggested…”

3. Proxy/ email  votes — A proxy email requesting funds for a picnic in celebration of the end of the children’s summer reading program was approved in the amount of $300.

4. Correspondence — none.

5. Financial report —  Laurie reported that the July statement needs some revision with regard to interest.  July’s financial report ending balances were $256.98 in Savings and $9124.81 in Checking, for a total of $9381.79. The Mancos Days book sale at the end of July brought in $759 profit, with $135 in memberships and $624 in book sales, all of which will be in the  August report.  A Wooden Nickel contribution of $21.55 was also noted by Laurie, and will be included in the August report.  No smaller change than quarters will be in the cash box for any future book sales — agreed upon by all present.

6. Librarian’s report — Several items of interest were included in Lee’s report ( See report). Lee noted that a microburst during Mancos Days spelled the end of the library’s popup canopy, so he will be requesting funds for a replacement from Friends in the future.  Looking around during Mancos Days, he noted that Eurmax canopies seemed to be the most popular and the sturdiest.  He also asked if anyone knew where the library could borrow a pressure washer to clean the library’s porches and patios.

7. Old business

Donor bench update —  Silvia reported that Brad has put together a rough draft, which she presented at the meeting.  He is etching the names onto an old road sign, which will be silvery shiny with black letters.  He is only charging $50 for his work.  The names of the donors were proofread at the meeting, and the project will be finished this summer.

Englehart cards and posters — Koko reported that no cards were sold at ABC this past month, and she thinks mainly locals buy the cards rather than tourists. Dana stated that two individuals purchased Englehart prints: one purchased prints of all four works, two signed and two unsigned, for a total of $265 and another bought two prints with a Paypal purchase.  The Paypal purchase had fees attached so the amount Friends receives is about $38 instead of $40, according to Dana.  These purchases will appear in the August financial report.

Books on sale in the library — (Joan was not present to give a report.)

Mancos Days book sale results and thoughts for the future.  Koko stated that Patty Harpham suggested lowering prices in order to get rid of more books.  However, as the sale of books was up this year over last at our current rates of $5 per bag or $1 per pound, the members felt lowering prices was not necessary.  A second comment Patty made to Koko was that any paperback books could be donated to the Cortez Jail.  All members agreed that was a good idea.  Finally, Lee commented that those who manned the library’s table at Mancos Days were directing anyone interested in buying books to our sale as well, which may in part have contributed to the increased revenue over last year.

More protection under our donor table (small stones, etc) — This has now been accomplished.  See Librarian’s Report.

8. New business

A storage shed for snowblower and gasoline other than the Zircon.  Tulli reiterated her conversation with Cindy Simpson after June’s meeting in which Cindy felt that arrangements could be made with the town to accommodate a small shed to house the snowblower and mower.  This issue will be taken up at later meetings and hopefully will be resolved quickly so Joan can work at organizing the books stored in the Zircon without gasoline fumes.  Lee felt the shed could be placed behind the library rather than by the Zircon, all of which needs to have town approval.

Upcoming presentations this fall.  Shari Dunn asked for an honorarium for Harvey Leake, as he will be traveling from Prescott, AZ, to give his presentation at the library on August 22nd.  Shari thought about $100 would be appropriate.  All the Board members approved a $100 honorarium

9. Adjourn at 7:45 pm.  Next meeting  Sept. 3, 2018

Minutes – July 2, 2018

(as submitted)

Members present: Tulli Kerstetter, Koko Smith, Anne Benson, Dana Petersen, Joan Brind’amour, Laurie Webster, Amy Welden, Silvia Fleitz

1. Call to order — 7 pm

2. Minutes from previous meeting —  Approved as emailed.

3. Proxy votes — none

4. Correspondence — Laurie reported that she had received a letter from Dolores State Bank changing the account number of our savings account (to separate it from checking).

5. Financial report — (See report for details).  Total balance as of the end of June is $9287.67; $256.98 in savings and $9030.69 in checking. View the June report. Tax information was submitted on a postcard as the only requirement for Friends to maintain their tax status.

6.  Librarian’s report — Amy read the report since Lee was absent.  (See report for details.)  Highlights included proposed Mancos Days booth with some sale items and a space for Friends to advertise our book sale, Half Marathon success with positive feedback, several upcoming library events, cleaned windows in the library, and further information on the Gallagher Amendment. View the full report.

7. Request from Julie Hartline — new children’s librarian for summer reading program.  Julie wants to put on a picnic for the reading program kids and their family.  Dana reported that Julie is requesting $350 for food and possibly entertainment, but no further details were forthcoming.  Friends Board requested an itemized agenda from Julie to be emailed to all Board members  for a proxy vote on this request. Laurie reported that Friends donated $63 in 2016, and $180 last year to the summer reading program.

8. Old business

a. Results and fresh thoughts on:      Jersey Jim auction and Cowboy Half Marathon food setup.  Dana reported that the auction brought in $275 from Robert Urquahart, which went directly to the library and not through Friends as in prior years.  Dana also commented on the Half Marathon, that the total number of runners was up, though costs were also up, so she roughly estimated that the library made about the same as last year (exact numbers will be forthcoming at a later meeting).  A later start was suggested, maybe 7 or 7:30.  Tulli handed out a draft list of to-do items for Friends to supply snacks for the runners so we have better organization next year.  Dana added that some runners requested more gluten-free snacks.

b. Revisit thoughts on a storage shed for snowblower, gas, etc.  Tulli reported on her conversation with Cindy Simpson after last month’s meeting in which Cindy thought that the Town Board of Trustees may allow a small shed for the machines to be stored separately from the Zircon.  This issue will be discussed in later meetings.

c. Donor bench update.  No change from last month.

d. Englehart   cards/posters.  Koko rearranged the cards at ABC to be more visible and reported that some were sold and she will be collecting the proceeds.

e. Sale of books within the library — the reduced-price summer sale is now over for these books in preparation for Mancos Days book sale.

9. New business

a. Working at the booth including setup and teardown for Mancos Days.   After some discussion regarding who exactly will be available to set up, staff, and tear down the book sale, Silvia mentioned that maybe a flyer atop a stack of books at the library booth directing buyers to the library sale site would be about all we could manage (several Board members may not be around during the sale).  Lee had asked for some participation of Friends (four people) in the parade on the library’s behalf.

b. Bookseller jobs for Mancos Days July 26, 27 and 28th.  Hours of operation were determined as follows:  setup starting at 1:30 on Thursday, the 26th, with the ice cream social for members 5:30-7:00; 10-5 for sale on Friday the 27th; 11-3 on Saturday the 28th (with special emphasis on 11-1 after the parade), then teardown.  The need to get enough volunteers, especially for setup and teardown was obvious at the May sale, so advertising for volunteers must begin soon.  Amy will get the Friends membership list to the sale for those who are manning the sale.  Silvia will get ice cream from Moose ‘n More, and paper bowls.  The strategy for setup will be again to leave some books in boxes like we did in May.  Book prices will be the same: $1/pound or $5 per bag (plastic grocery bag size only).  All of us are encouraged to donate bags for the sale.

10. Adjourn — 8:10 p.m.

Next meeting August 6, 2018