Category Archives: 2022

Minutes – December 6, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room
4 pm

Members present: Anne Benson, Jared Boudreaux, Miriam Dunbar, Tulli Kerstetter, Laurie Webster, Tova Spector.

1. Call to order at 4:05 pm

2. Minutes from November meeting as emailed – Anne moved to approve the minutes and Miriam seconded. All approved

3. Guest requests – none

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report – Laurie reported no interest on savings balance of $4226.13. Checking account deposits were for three online book sales (October and November), donation box, in-library book sales, and hats, which swelled the coffers to $8872.11. Total accounts balance at the end of November was $13,098.24. The holiday book sale netted $201.55, which will show up in December’s report. Anne moved to approve the financial report and Tulli seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Jared reported that annual appeal letters are about to go out (the bill for same will go directly to Friends). Kathy Graf is resigning this year, but her cataloging/wrapping duties may be done elsewhere for a nominal fee, saving the library some money in the long run. The library’s Lego team won first place in innovation and 2nd overall, and will compete in a state competition in Denver this coming Saturday (the 10th). Many generous people have come forward with donations toward hotel and other costs for the contestants. The Friday Children’s program and other issues are to be discussed in meetings with local partners to plan for the future. The new Epson patron printer is having a host of problems, which may necessitate an exchange (still under warranty). Exterior lights are being replaced with LEDs. Finally, Jared voiced a few requests from Friends as follows: A display case for various items of interest to the community, three new chairs around the fireplace, and replacing some staff office chairs (at least four need replacement). All the above requests would probably be about the same in terms of cost (ca $1000-$1500 for each project). The glass-fronted display case probably would go in the community room. After Friends went into the library and looked at the three chairs by the fireplace, however, they proposed a good cleaning as a first step, as the upholstery was still satisfactory. Jared will research costs for said cleaning as well as estimates for the display case and some staff office chairs.

8. Book Maven report – Miriam reported that she is pretty well caught up on sorting books at the moment.

Holiday Book Sale – The sales goal was around $200, which was met (see above under Financial Report). Miriam typed up a list of steps (see attached) needed to enact a future book sale. Among her recommendations were: $50 worth of change is enough, only sell books at $1 per pound rather than including the per-bag sales of the Friends book sale during Mancos Days. Tulli suggested that the signs set out to announce same are really not very visible from the streets, and she volunteered to make new signs.

9. Old business – The bill on one of the Friends sale hats had separated from the cap, but Miriam repaired it. She suggested selling it for $15 instead of $20. All agreed.

10. New business – The 2023 Friends annual Valentine’s bake sale was scheduled for Valentine’s Day for the community room, which had been previously reserved by another party, but Jared feels that the prior reservation would vacate so Friends can
have their bake sale.

Jared announced that the library was having its Christmas party Friday at 5 p.m. on the 16th. It will be potluck if anyone wants to bring something.

11. Adjourn at 4:50 pm

Next meeting: January 3, 2023 – by the fireplace in the library

Minutes – November 1, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

Members present: Anne Benson, Ann Coker, Cathy Seibert, Miriam Dunbar, Peggy Littlejohn, Tulli Kerstetter, Ilga Vise
1. Call to order at 4 pm

2. Minutes from October meeting as emailed – Peggy moved to accept the minutes, and Cathy seconded.    All approved

3. Guest requests– none

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – Laurie gave her proxy to Anne for the vote on a new slate of officers (see below).

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report –    In Laurie’s absence, Anne summarized the report as follows:    $4226.13 in savings, with 53 cents interest;   $8738.51 in checking; sale on  Amazon of one book at $43.10;  print sold for $125, one hat sold for $20, in-library book sales of $23. Total balance at the end of October was $12,964.64.    Ann moved to accept the financial report and Cathy seconded.    All approved.

7. Library Director’s report –    In Jared’s absence, Anne summarized his report for
the record as follows:   exterior lights are currently being replaced with LEDs; a request from Jared for Friends to cover the cost of the year-end annual appeal; Linda McDarby has joined the library staff as a new sub and Friday program supervisor;    Cowboy Half Marathon had 200 participants and raised $10,878 for the library;   Friday programs have been well received with a cap of 20 per program; Cidery Halloween event with 80 in attendance a success; a new printer ordered to replace one of the two patron printers;  Cybrarian security software outfit has been difficult to work with so Jared is trying out Librarica as a replacement; and staff computers will be replaced half this year and half next year.
Board members commented on the pre-Halloween chili feed for trick/treaters, stating there were 70 attendees for the feed at the library. Discussion before the motion to fund the annual appeal letter centered on the number of patrons which may be included this year and the additional charge for postage. Last year’s appeal cost Friends around $2500. The exact amount required for the appeal will not be known until December, but Miriam moved to provide up to $3000 for the appeal, and Peggy seconded. All approved. Anne will modify last year’s Friends letter for the appeal fund to reflect the donations made to the library in 2022.

8. Book Maven report – Miriam reported that she is now caught up on all donations    and had contacted the Cortez Jail about providing books.    Two boxes of paperbacks have now been gathered for the inmates.

9. Old business
Half Marathon de-brief – Per discussion Tulli had with Cathy, some changes need to be made in the food items provided, namely more salty snacks and cookies, 4-5 bags of ice instead of 6, 2 watermelons instead of 3, the same number of oranges, and 4-5 packages of grapes.    Anne could not find the new banner but thinks it may be hidden among the items in the shed.    The library silent auction was not a smashing success, having sold only about $300 worth of items.    A suggestion was made to have fewer high-priced items and more items geared towards runners    Thank you notes have gone out to P&D, Zuma, and ABC for their food contributions (thank you, Ann).    Anne will ask Walmart a month or two in advance for a discount on salty packaged items for next year.    Cathy commented that there should be some ingredient information on the cookies from ABC for those with food allergies.   Tulli reported that the “blue box” toolkit is ready for next year and she will re-do the To-Do list for the Friends food contribution to the Half Marathon runners (see attachment).

Holiday Book Sale – Miriam’s suggestions for a successful mini book sale in the library: move couch, have table at old position, do sales by weight only with sale to be on the 2nd and 3rd or 9th and 10th from 12-5 Friday and 1-3 Saturday. She is volunteering to be in charge of the sale but would need one other person to help her.    Need kids books, cookbooks, fiction, nonfiction.   Anne will talk to Cathy Epps of the craft fair at the school to coordinate with them.   Ilga has some children’s books that she will donate for the sale. Miriam has an arrangement with Mancos Thrift Store to obtain the children’s books donated there.

10. New business
Election of Officers – All of the current officers stated they were willing to serve for one more year as follows:
Anne – President
Ann — 1st Vice President
Cathy — 2nd Vice President
Tulli – Secretary, but willing to step down if a replacement can be found
Laurie as Treasurer was not up for nomination or replacement this year.
Miriam moved to accept the above slate of officers, and Ilga seconded.    All approved.

11. Adjourn at 4:45 pm.

Next meeting: December 6, 2022 – Library Conference Room

Attachment: To-Do List for Half Marathon