Minutes – April 5, 2022

Zoom meeting

(As submitted)

Members present: Anne Benson, Tulli Kerstetter, Ann Coker, Ilga Vise, Miriam Dunbar, Silvia Fleitz, Cathy Seibert, Laurie Webster, Jared Boudreaux.

1. Call to order at 4:02 pm

2. Minutes from February meeting – Miriam moved to approve the minutes for February (no meeting took place in March), and Ilga seconded. All approved.

3. Guest requests – None

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – None

5. Correspondence – Laurie stated that Friends had received an appreciation card from the Brights, new to Mancos. Anne got an email from Lisa Taylor thanking Friends for allowing her group to temporarily use the library’s community room when Friends usually meets.

6. Financial report – Since there was no meeting in March, Laurie combined February and March in one report. Savings increased by $.52 in interest to $4225.07. Activity in checking included reimbursement to Cathy for supplies/postage, an Amazon Smile payment of $17.86, a deposit of $20 for Englehart prints, $135 from memberships, $80 in hat sales, in-library book sales of $29.15, and donation box receipts of $20.07. Checking at the end of March was $4178.52, with a total balance of $8403.59. Tulli moved to approve the financial report and Miriam seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Welcome Jared. Jared highlighted for Friends his statements to the Library Board as follows: a meeting with Celebrating Healthy Communities explained the use of narcan by library staff in cases of overdoses;
updates to Children’s and Teens’ sections as suggested by staff; changes made through grants already obtained for creating and expanding an outdoor hub for the community; new furniture for the children’s section of the library and creating more age-specific groups within that section. A book challenge had arisen lately but has been resolved. Security updates are being undertaken as well.

8. Old business

Arrival of Chairs. Midge made lots of calls to the supplier regarding the chairs that Friends had paid for last year and had yet to be delivered. She was happy to announce their recent arrival and placement outside. Silvia asked why Friends paid a sales tax, which amounted to $203 (9.03%). Anne will investigate, as Friends does have a tax-exempt license. Miriam asked about remaining hats and should more be ordered, since four had recently sold (see financial report). The hat issue was tabled until the meeting in May.

9. New business

Writing for Resilience Events: Ann told Friends about two events that Lisa Taylor has organized through her Poetry for Teens on Tuesdays. The two events to show off their works will be held on April 15 at Fenceline Cidery (poetry slam) from 4-7 pm with ABC providing refreshments, and April 30 at Mancos Brewery with a reading and possibly guest poets. Area artists also collaborated to create illustrations for the teens’ poetry. Ann will post the events on Friends website and Silvia will announce same on Facebook.

1st VP Vacancy – This vacancy was created when Koko Smith recently moved out of state. Ann Coker volunteered and was approved. Miriam has the record books from Koko and will deliver them to Ann.

Other matters:
Laurie: new memberships were placed in a drawer at the circulation desk in the library for Cathy, and Anne will look through them in order to get new email addresses.

Miriam has been sorting books for future book sales and sending unwanted ones to Better World Books. The Zircon is getting full and she feels that there will be lots of good books for Friends’ next book sale.

10. Adjourn at 4:33 p.m.

Next meeting: May 3, 2022 – Library Conference Room