Minutes – August 2, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

Members present: Laurie Webster, Ann Coker, Anne Benson, Miriam Dunbar, Tulli Kerstetter, Ilga Vise, Jared Boudreaux, Peggy Littlejohn, Cathy Seibert

1. Call to order 4 pm

2. Minutes from July meeting as emailed – Ilga moved to accept the minutes, and Miriam seconded. All approved

3. Guest requests – Josh Dalley and son from Half Marathon asked Friends if they would once again pay for the liquor license for the event. Motion to pay for the liquor license of about $100 was made by Peggy and seconded by Tulli. All approved. Josh wanted the MFOL logo for the half marathon sponsors, which Anne will supply. A brief discussion of operations for the half marathon ensued (see also below).

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report – There were a few donations in July of $20 for a hat and $100 from Georgette Welage via Patty Harpham (discussed at last meeting). Laurie filed the periodic report for the Secretary of State. There is $4225.60 in savings and $3827.23 in checking for a total of $8052.83. These numbers do not include the July book sale, which will be in the August report, but Laurie stated that the book sale netted $799 for books, $275 in memberships/ donations, and $13 in a donation jar. Profits were a bit higher last year (ca $1200) than this year. Tulli moved to approve the report, and Peggy seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Summer reading program has had great attendance, over 40 kids. Trivia night over 40 as well, while teen game night was also well attended. The library is currently updating policies which will be posted on the website. New children’s computers will be set up soon. The 3D printer is just about ready to go into action, which will include a link on the library’s website home page for how to print, with classes for same in the future. Ryan now is scheduling one-on-one for lessons on the printer. County Covid levels are fluctuating at present, which the library is monitoring, but if the situation worsens, there may have to be a mask mandate put into place. The AC system is now fixed and will be up and running very soon. Solar panels were found to be malfunctioning, maybe from electrical storms (surge triggered problems, fuse blown and some other minor things), but the panels may have been out for a few months. Jared and Ryan are looking into some type of shade for the outdoor area on the library south side to make it more usable.
Tulli asked about the status of the landscaping situation, as it seemed a bit weedy, and Jared said due to a mixup with the sponsor, Wild Iris had not been asked to start beautification, but they will be in operation tomorrow (Wednesday the 3rd of August).

8. Book Maven report – Miriam reported that the Crow Canyon archaeology books that weren’t supposed to be put out at the book sale actually did sell well, surprisingly. Prisons are not accepting any books right now, but she will look into whether the local jails want some paperback donations. Holiday book sale? Maybe one table in the library? In 2018, $210 in sales and $155 in memberships were received during two days of the holiday event (Friday and Saturday). Anne will find out the dates of the holiday event this year.

9. Old business

Mancos Days Book Sale and Friends Social review – About 30 people attended the ice cream social, and a lot were buying books and requesting membership apps.

10. New business

Half Marathon – October 15 (see also above discussion with Josh). Who fills out the application for a liquor license? Probably the library. Jared will check out the details and report back at next meeting.

Other business: Peggy brought up the issue of the aging vacuum cleaner that was throwing off a part or two, and Tulli said she would donate one.

11. Adjourn at 4:43 pm.

Next meeting: September 6, 2022 – Library Conference Room