Minutes – August 5, 2019

(as submitted)

Members present: Miriam, Anne, Amy, Tulli, Laurie, Koko, Bryan Kyle

1. Call to order 7:05 p.m. Introductions took place due to a new member’s attendance (Bryan). Bryan works at the Dolores Library and is president of the Friends organization there.

2. Minutes from July meeting — approved as emailed.

3. Guest requests — none

4. Proxy/e-mail votes — none

5. Correspondence — none

6. Financial report. Withdrawals from checking were for SDI Workshop Retreat, Koko Smith reimbursement for foods she purchased for Cowboy Half Marathon, and Secretary of State periodic report filing fee. Deposits were from the Jersey Jim auction, donation box, Englehart card sales, memberships, in-library book sales, and Mancos Days book sale. Savings balance is $6258.18, checking $1916.60 for a total balance of $8174.78. Total profit from the Mancos Days book sale and membership fees was $1248.20. The financial report was approved.

7. Librarian’s report. Lee was not in attendance but did submit an email to Friends, which Anne read aloud. Chris Lindell agreed to have the Lindells play for the library’s 10th anniversary party, date to be determined. The storage shed project is becoming more complicated due to drainage problems, necessitating a smaller shed than was envisioned.

8. Old business

Mancos Days book sale debrief — This year’s sale was a great success, and book purchases totaled about half of what was on sale. Total proceeds were $1248.20 and included 11 new members and 11 renewing members. Amy estimates that we have about 83 active Friends members right now.

Library building 10-year anniversary — on hold until Lee sets a date (see above under Librarian’s Report).

Storage shed for snowblower and gasoline — (see above under Librarian’s Report).

Replacement donor plaque cost & installation location — Anne summarized Silvia’s text message to her recounting Silvia’s discussion with Maggie Goodell as follows: The new plaque will be of acrylic rather than metal, similar to the one attached to Brad Goodell’s mural on the press building, if approved, and mounted in a spot that is in security camera range. Board members opted to walk over to the mural after the meeting to get an idea of what the new plaque would look like. Maggie again reiterated that they would do the work pro bono but that Friends would be required to pay for materials. Board approval is all that is required in order to proceed.
Friends’ Corner & logo — Amy and Anne have been working on this project of a poster and a trifold handout. They felt a corner table 22 inches high, wide and long (or triangular) would fit nicely into the Friends’ corner of the library and not hinder movement. The cost to produce the trifold handout has not been investigated, and they are still looking for a logo. T-shirts with a Friends logo was suggested for those who volunteer to help with book and bake sales, though aprons were felt to be a better idea, but no further book bags due to lackluster sales of previous bags. Tulli will investigate transfers and aprons online, Koko will bring in one of the Rosa Sabido project aprons for inspection and possible purchase by Friends, and Anne will talk with Dana to see if Friends can keep the current library aspen leaf logo if or when the library decides on a new logo. Additionally, Anne and Amy proposed having a sign made that would go above the in-library book sale area advertising items for sale to benefit Friends. Amy will report back on cost, etc., for this project.

Tulli handed out an updated info sheet (revised July 2019) on Friends’ list of duties and contributions to the Cowboy Half Marathon.

9. New business

Move Sept. meeting to 2nd Monday (because of Labor Day)

10. Adjourn 8:01.

Next meeting: September 9, 2019

Scroll to Top