Minutes – December 4, 2017

Present: Joan Brind’Amour, Lee Hallberg, Anne Benson, Koko Smith, Tulli Kerstetter, Amy Welden (via computer connection), Shari Dunn

Call to order — 7:04 pm

Minutes of the last meeting sent out previously were accepted.

Proxy votes — none

Request from Shari Dunn.  Shari presented an overview of the Great Decisions program, which is a library-hosted program.  She stated that $150 of the $310.99 annual cost had been donated yearly from the League of Women Voters.  Unfortunately, for 2018, the League is not contributing, hence Shari’s request to Friends for some financial help.  Shari explained the program to the Friends and announced the new topics for 2018.  Amy made a motion to give $150 to the program, which was seconded and approved.

Correspondence — None.  Lee said checks arising from the annual year-end funding appeal are starting to arrive.

Financial Report — Sent to all Board members from Laurie.  Savings of $256.92, checking of $6901.87, for a total of $7158.79.  The major expense last month was $1632.79 for printing/mailing of annual year-end fundraiser letter. View the November 2017 report.

Librarian’s Report – none printed.  Lee reported orally: (1) that the bearproof trash can had arrived, (2) the year-end fundraiser mailing had garnered $2200 so far (normally $7000-$10,000 is collected, with a big donor giving $3000-$5000 of that each year), (3) announced the Christmas Party will be Dec. 16, at 3:30 (4) a $20,000 anonymous donation was received.  All funds collected go into the general operating fund.  Lee wants to build up a six month reserve in case of emergencies.

Old Business

Englehart cards at ABC are in a good space but sometimes covered up by aprons being sold there as well.

Donor table plaque – tabled until Silvia can be present to update the Board.

New Business

Dec. book sale.  The setup people will meet with Dana on Friday at 3:30 to determine where book tables will be placed. Emphasis will be on gift type books and young adult and children’s books.  Joan will go through the many books already collected and pick out books.  A request was made by Joan to keep the books somewhat categorized during teardown.  The schedule is as follows:  3;30 – 6 setup on Friday, sale Saturday from 10 to 3, teardown 3-5.  Book bags and scale are in the community room closet.  Discussion of sandwich board locations.  Tulli will email Silvia and ask her if she would be willing to set them out as she has done in the past.  If not, Anne would do it.

Discussion and vote on joining with the Historical Society for the Follies event March 3rd at Millwood Junction  Koko announced that she may not be around for the Follies.  Amy has found a few people who would donate.  Importance here of seeing if anyone from Friends is willing to undertake the project.  30-40 items need to be collected, with a few large and more expensive items.  (tickets, round of golf, Dunton Hot Springs, etc.).  Lee recommends doing an email message to Friends members and solicit offers of help.  Tulli will contact Silvia to see if she will send out a notice to the members about this because the Friends Board is too small to undertake all the work necessary.  Lee thinks a half dozen committed people would cause Friends to agree to undertake the project  Cutoff date of Dec. 18 to decide whether or not to participate with the Historical Society so they can start planning.

Motion to adjourn at 8:10 pm.

Next meeting will be January 8, 2018.

Scroll to Top