Present: Dana Petersen, Laurie Webster, Carolyn Smith, Lee Wilson, Lee Hallberg
I. Call to order – Lee Wilson called the meeting to order at 7:07.
II. Proxies – None.
A. Confirmations of electronic votes/communications
III. Minutes of previous meeting – Accepted as read.
IV. Correspondence – None.
VI. Librarian’s report – Lee reported on various items including the posting of the proposed 2015 budget which will be approved December 10. The library is on sound financial footing and has met its fundraising goal for the year which means donations from the annual appeal will be “gravy” in 2015. Note that the City Market Cares cards must be renewed annually now. The library has been receiving about $250/quarter from this program. View the full report below.
VII. Projects summary
A. Stanton Englehart sales – change poster prices? Brief discussion but no decision.
B. Brief summary of book sale. It went well and books have been culled vigorously in advance of the next sale.
VIII. Old Business
IX. New Business
A. The Friends approved a request from the library to cover the cost of printing and mailing the annual appeal. Total cost was $2,529.38.
B. Carolyn Smith indicated her willingness to serve as second vice president. Thank you, Carolyn! We will vote on that at the January meeting.
X. Next Meeting: January 5, 2015
XI. Adjournment – The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 p.m.
Librarian’s Report – 12/1/14
- Weed barrier and flagstones have been laid, Western Excelsior will donate mulch (Friday 12/5)
- Copy of annual budget has been posted, final will be approved on December 10.
- Annual appeal is completed, mailed last Monday to approximately 1900 patrons & property owner’s – first check received today! Requesting $2,529.38 to cover total cost of mailing.
- Fundraising goal has been met, funds raised from annual appeal will help benefit next year’s budget. Mil levy campaign is imminent.
- Still looking for volunteers to help with various projects around the library – re-barcoding, landscaping / weeding, light replacement, etc.
- Upcoming Programs:
- Science Friday – Symmetry – Dec. 12 @ 10 am & 1 pm
- Holiday Decoration Party – Dec. 6 @ 10 am – noon
- Book Buzz book club (NEW!) – Last Friday of month @ 6 pm
- Crochet Group (NEW!) – 1st & 3rd Tuesdays @ 6pm
- Computer classes, legal clinic all continue
- Outdoor Adventures – Tues. & Thurs. 4:00 – 5:30 pm
- Teen Nights – 3rd Friday from 7 – 10 pm.
- City Market Cares program has been very successful since re-launch. Approximately $250 per quarter has been given back to the library. All participants will need to re-register in 2015, please spread the word!
- Downloaded first report from the new PeopleCounter (6 months after install) – I love the system, very easy to use, reports come “itemized” by time of visit for more accurate statistics.
- Considering re-starting the “Board Books for Babies” program, giving board books to all new mothers in the community. Would the FOL be willing to donate book bags & purchase books?
- Staff & volunteer holiday party will be December 12, 5 – 6:30 pm at the library. All friends officers and active volunteers are invited!