Library Conference Room, 4 pm
Members present: Jared Boudreaux, Anne Benson, Miriam Dunbar, Cathy Seibert, Ilga Vise, Ann Coker, Tulli Kerstetter, Amy Welden
1. Call to order at 4 pm
2. Minutes from May meeting as emailed – Motion to approve the minutes was made by Miriam and seconded by Cathy. All approved.
3. Guest requests – none
4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none
5. Correspondence – none
6. Financial report (see report for details). In Laurie’s absence, Anne read the report into the record. $1649 was paid out to the library for 3D printer supplies and software. Income included the sale of two Englehart prints ($38.11). Checking account balance at the end of May was $2910.83 and savings balance of $4225.11, for a total $7135.94. Tulli moved to approve the financial report, which was seconded by Amy. All approved. Silvia will be mailing the prints to the purchaser and will be asking for reimbursement for mailing charges from Friends.
7. Library Director’s report (see report for details) – Jared reported on his attendance at two conferences (Directors Conference in Vail, CLiC Rural Library Meetup in Durango). Another upcoming conference stemming from the Directors Conference will focus more on local issues.
The library’s teen section has been moved around and outfitted with new equipment and furniture. Renovation of the children’s room may take longer due to the need to open up floor panels for wiring, etc., but may be finished by the first of July. These changes to teen and children’s sections will create more of a separation between younger and older children.
A new security camera system will soon be operational with special emphasis on keeping an eye on the new outdoor chairs and the children’s area.
Julia Whelihan is the new volunteer coordinator. Her duties will include coordinating any volunteers (currently three) and recruiting new volunteers from the community. She will also be in a better position to direct volunteer efforts more effectively at the library.
Tulli asked Jared about the state of the landscaping around the library, and he assured Friends that the couple who were supporting same will continue to foot the bill.
8. Book Maven report – Miriam reported that someone donated several Louis L’Amour books, which have been selling well. She suggested limiting further book donations in July since the Zircon is getting full before the Mancos Days Book Sale. She asked that someone volunteer to move boxes of books into the Zircon during her two-week absence in July. There has been no book request from the prisons for paperbacks, which might need to be set up again. Jared stated that he hasn’t seen any information on this issue but will follow up on the suggestion.
9. Old business
Hats order – Tulli delivered 10 embroidered hats to Friends at this meeting, which will be stored in the community room closet with the others. She noted that embroidery costs are now $10 per hat instead of $9.
Donated coffee table books. Friends agree to put them up for sale, and Miriam did put out a few that did sell. Jared wondered if Friends wanted to do something online. Although Miriam stated she was not interested, other Friends members might wish to participate. Friends could use the library’s account with Amazon, which costs about $4-$5 for shipping. Jared estimates the library still has about 20 of these coffee table books still in their plastic wrappers. Anne said she might volunteer to help with the setup online as a fundraiser, and Cathy said she has some of these types of books that may be useful as fundraisers also.
10. New business
Jersey Jim Auction – A date of Friday, July 8, has been donated to Friends. Dana is willing to do the auction again. After some discussion, it was agreed that auction dates need to start pretty quickly, maybe Monday the 20th through Sunday the 26th, with bids starting at $50. Anne will get flyers put together, and Miriam will post same around town, with Silvia doing facebook (hopefully).
Mancos Days Book Sale and Friends Social – The Friends book sale will be July 29-30 with the social on Thursday the 28th. Details for book sale and social were tabled until next meeting.
Addition to New Business: There will be a library fundraiser at the Mancos Brewery on September 17, selling tickets for a feature-length documentary movie called Cowboys. The library will keep Friends updated on this event.
11. Adjourn at 4:48 pm.
Next meeting: July 5, 2022 – Library Conference Room