Minutes – October 4, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

Members present: Ann Coker, Anne Benson, Tulli Kerstetter, Cathy Seibert, Jared Boudreaux, Amy Welden, Earlene Swann, Ilga Vise, Peggy Littlejohn

1. Call to order 4 pm

2. Minutes from September meeting as emailed – Cathy moved to accept the minutes and Ilga seconded. All approved

3. Guest requests – None

4. Proxy/e-mail votes –None

5. Correspondence – None

6. Financial report – In Laurie’s absence, Anne read the report. There is $4225.60 still in savings. A few deposits were made to checking, two rather large ones of $1102 and $2500 from Becktel Charitable Trust. Other income came from $43.15 in donation box and in-library book sales, for a total in checking of $8677.41. Total balance: $12,903.01. Ann moved to accept the financial report and Cathy seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – (See report for further details). Jared reported that the library is looking for a substitute employee to help with the Friday Children’s program. The library staff is now prepping for the Half Marathon, which is on track to raise about $11,000 for the library, similar to last year. Attendance for children’s programs is steady, maxing out Friday programs, with 40 plus at Trivia Night at the Brewery, and 36 for Author Talk. The camera system is up and running and has already proven useful. Children’s computers are in the process of whitelisting approved websites. Cybrarian will soon become the primary computer software for all the library’s computers. The HVAC system, in need of replacement, necessitates seeking bids from approved operators, but there currently is a severe backlog for these companies before work can begin on the system at the library. The upgrade may force the library to close for a few days. There will be no annual fee for new wifi systems, resulting in an annual savings of $700. The library is also replacing firewall equipment.
Jared made a request for funds to support the Halloween Werewolf Game & Costume Contest, held at Fenceline from 5 to 9 p.m.. Coasters with the library and Fenceline logos cost about $170 and cookies for the attendees another $100. Cathy and Peggy volunteered to bake four dozen cookies each to help reduce the cost of buying cookies. Anne suggested $150 out of Friends’ finances for this event. Tulli made the motion to approve $150 for the Halloween Werewolf Game & Costume Contest, and Peggy seconded. All approved.

8. Book Maven report – In Miriam’s absence, Anne has been sorting the influx of books and reported that the Zircon is getting full again. Jared stated that there should be more books for sale coming out of the library’s mystery books collection, which the library is culling in order to make room on the shelves for other mystery authors and titles.

9. Old business

Half Marathon plans – October 15. Anne passed around the volunteer sheet she has posted at the circulation desk. She has talked with Melissa Blaine at ABC about providing trays of cookies. Amy suggested signs for gluten free or nut free items. Friends are assuming that Josh would be taking care of the drinks as usual (Jared will confirm) and help with canopy setup. Peggy will bring buckets to fill with stones for securing canopy legs. Tulli and Anne agreed to obtaining food items for the runners per the To-Do List from last year. Cathy will again supply her aluminum bowls for snacks and coolers for the cold drinks. Setup will begin at 7 a.m. There will be a vendor for food but Jared was unsure if the Chuckwagon will still be the vendor. Tulli updated the Friends’ To-do List for setup by adding the Friends banner (which Anne cannot find at present) and zip ties.

Holiday Book Sale? Anne is not sure about this because the Christmas venues are to be held when the library is closed (see minutes of prior meeting for details). This item was then tabled to the November meeting. Jared may have some ideas about having a spot set aside for the sale by that time.

10. New business – Election of officers was to have been held at September’s meeting but since it is past September, Ann postponed the election to November.

11. Adjourn at 5 p.m.

Next meeting: November 1, 2022 – Library Conference Room

 

Minutes – September 6, 2022

(As submitted)

Library Conference Room, 4 pm

In Attendance: Jared Boudreaux, Cathy Seibert, Ann Coker, Ilga Vise, Tulli Kerstetter, Miriam Dunbar, Laurie Webster, Anne Benson, Earlene Swann, Pat Vojta

1. Call to order at 4:01 pm

2. Minutes from August meeting as emailed – Miriam moved to approve the minutes and Cathy seconded. All approved.

3. Guest requests – Pat Vojta, who is also a member, was invited by Miriam to attend this meeting.

4. Proxy/e-mail votes – none

5. Correspondence – none

6. Financial report – Savings amount steady at $4225.60. Two deposits were made in August, one for $1187 from book sale/memberships/donations, the other ($108.60) for in-library book sales for two months, a hat, and donations. Total funds at the end of August were $9348.43. Laurie announced that she had just deposited a $1000 check from Elliot Vaughan for a membership and donation. Tulli moved to approve the report, and Ilga seconded. All approved.

7. Library Director’s report – Jared announced a new employee courtesy of the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), Dearle Ricker, but also the resignation of Julie Whelihan who moved to Pagosa Springs. There will be two author talks in September. The Friday Afterschool program is now running after a hiatus last month, with 16 attendees. But due to staff constraints the library may have to limit the number of kids to 25 in future. The HVAC system is now working but Jared is looking to replace the whole system eventually, which may cost around $10,000. Security cameras are also up and working in and around the building. A new policy for postings to the outdoor display area has been initiated in order to focus on free local events and activities. Children’s computers are nearly up and running which include a new program called Cybrarian out of New York with more options and controls on the computers than the current system. Jared feels that the library will probably go with this program for all the computers in future ($700 for the whole library’s system vs $2000 for the current program). Earlene asked about a banned book policy at the library. Jared commented that there is a form to fill out to protest a book, which will go first to the director and then to staff and the board for review.

8. Book Maven report – Miriam called the Cortez jail to inquire into whether the jail would like books for the inmates, and she delivered two boxes. Additionally, Earlene Swann took two boxes to the Durango jail. There are currently lots of book donations. Kate Kearns’ historic books from her grandmother have been placed next to the in-library book sale shelf for sale. Miriam will be gone for five weeks, during which time Anne will take over book maven duties.

9. Old business

Half Marathon plans – October 15. Discussion of this issue will take place at next month’s board meeting, but the need for volunteers was brought up. Jared stated that the liquor license for the event is still $100. Laurie made out a check to the library for same.

10. New business

Amazon book sales – Anne stated that there was only one sale and the library paid the postage. A couple cancelled orders due to delays and serious out-of-country postage have been the only drawbacks so far to continuing the service.

Holiday book sale options – Artists Holiday event at Fenceline on a Sunday when the library is not open creates an issue for a Friends book sale, and Dec. 2nd activities starting at 5 pm on Friday also complicates matters. Discussion ensued as to maybe using the small meeting room a couple days or even moving back to the original area of the in-library book shelf (where the 3D printer now stands). More on this issue closer to the holidays.

Aside: Anne announced that the documentary on cowboys that was to occur at the Brewery has been postponed to April or May of next year. The documentary is to be a fundraiser for the library.

11. Adjourn – 4:40 p.m.

Next meeting: October 4, 2022 – Library Conference Room